Tan Hoe Shuen
LLB – Bristol
Meticulous, Determined, Passionate
Since graduating in 2019, I have gained extensive exposure and have assisted in a wide variety of matters at every stage of a dispute and at all levels of the Singapore Courts. I have experience in civil and commercial contentious matters, spanning debt recovery, landlord and tenant disputes, employment and other contractual claims. I have assisted and shown myself to be capable in dealing with matters of complexity and legal technicality.
Representative Case Experience
- Assisted in acting for a director of a company to defend a claim of around $8 million for breach of contract.
- Assisted in acting for a director of a company to defend a claim of around $1.5 million for misrepresentation.
- Assisted in acting for a Liberian company in a claim against a bank.
- Assisted in acting for a company in the recovery of around half a million SGD arising out of a breach of a settlement agreement.
- Assisted in acting for an individual to defend contempt proceedings before the High Court.
- Assisted in acting for a foreign company in obtaining an injunction against a local company.
- Assisted in acting for a US citizen to defend bankruptcy proceedings.
- Assisted in defending a director of a company against a claim of minority oppression (see Gui Chien Cheong Martin v Facilit8te Pte Ltd and another  4 SLR 1449)
- Assisted in an application before the Appellate Division of the High Court for leave to appeal against the decision of the Family Division of the High Court (see CLI v CLJ  SGHC(A) 3)
- Assisted in an appeal before the Court of Appeal involving the division of matrimonial assets, which raised a legal question that the Court of Appeal considered for the first time (see VJP v VJQ  SGCA 82)
Appointments & Memberships
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
25 April 2021Debt Recovery